Everyone has quirks - including me, but I've noticed that the guys in my life (friends and family) have a few quirks/pet peeves that drive me bat sh*t crazy, especially lately.
Now my emotions might be a bit heightened because Chicago had three days of non-stop rain, so let me know if I'm overreacting.
My boy pet peeves (in no particular order):
- Long showers - I have two stepbrothers and I have zero idea what they're actually doing in the bathroom when they go in to take a shower. I hear the water turn on and off but they're in there for like 40 minutes. Come on! Some of the women in the house need to use the bathroom too. I don't know if they're having a religious experience or writing a book but stop hogging the bathroom and let me enjoy some hot water! I once got so frustrated with one of them that I banged on the door and told him to "pinch it off" so I could finish getting ready.
- Tardiness (beyond "fashionably late") - This above everything else irritates me the most. I'm usually on-time or if I'm going to be late, I call to let the people I'm meeting know. Apparently this concept is lost on guys. I can name multiple examples of when I'm supposed to meet a guy friend of mine and he shows up about 15-20 minutes late, without a call or text that he's running behind. To account for this, I've adjusted the time that I actually show up to meet him, but on a day like today, when it's pouring rain and he's 15 minutes late with no call, yeah I'm not so sympathetic.
- Wandering eye - Even if I'm not dating any of the guys in my life, if we're out and having a nice platonic time, please don't fake-listen to me while you're checking out other girls. Thanks. Eyes on me or at least on my chest. Be a team player.
- Lack of listening - This kind of builds off the last point. Maybe it's a "girl thing," that we pay better attention and can fake being interested better than guys, but seriously, I do not want to talk about you all the time. At least pretend to be interested in my contributions to our conversations.
- Not thinking before speaking - Now this one I can be pretty sympathetic on because everyone is different in how they want guys to respond in certain situations. Many of the guys in my life lack the "comforting" gene so I'll settle for just validating how I feel. Usually saying something like, "well what did you expect?" and "calm down," aren't the best things to say when a women is upset. Just a tip.
Part of me wanted to do the whole "not noticing" pet peeve too, but many of the guys in my life, minus one, just aren't that observant. When I dyed my hair from blonde back to brown, my dad noticed but none of my guy friends did. When I pointed it out to them, it was like they saw it for the first time! I've given up on my guys asking if I've lost weight, if I got a new top or noticing hair color/cut changes. That's too much to ask for in my arena.
Now these are just a list of pet peeves that applies to "my guys," so I'm sure I've missed things. What are your boy pet peeves? We'll add 'em to the list!