Friday, February 1, 2008

Happy 3rd Anniversary!

I'm pleased to share that today is my 3rd anniversary of living in Chicago. It seems so hard to believe that three years ago I walked off the 151 downtown ready to start my internship, excited and ready to take on the world! There is a lot that has happened in three years here, both professionally and personally, and looking back, I don't regret moving to the Windy City, even though I was scared out of my mind. Plus I found out that the third anniversary gift is "leather" so that might be my excuse to hit a store this weekend and get me something nice :)

So in celebration of my third year here, I've compiled a brief list of things that I've learned since I was "fresh off the bus."
  • You really can live in a closet-like space and survive without going crazy
  • Once you get a one-bedroom apartment, you never go back
  • The "city hum" at night really does get better
  • Homeless people are harmless, except for the one that follows you near Crate and Barrel
  • Groceries and everything costs at least 10 percent more in the city
  • You need to always leave at least 30-45 minutes before you need to get somewhere to allow for travel time
  • A car is not a necessity
  • Dating is not any easier in the big city and neither is making friends
  • Tourists are a nuisance in the summer and holiday time and you come to resent the people who drive down for just one day to clog up the sidewalks and drive you crazy
  • No matter what, the Michigan Avenue lighting and the St. Patrick's Day festivities never get old

And finally... eccentric people are everywhere, but with enough time, you find friends who you can connect with.

No comments: