Thursday, June 25, 2009

Summer movie fever!

First off, today was a sad day. Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson both passed away, the latter came as a total shock. Michael Jackson was definitely more relevant to me than Farrah but both are sad losses. Time to dig out my Thriller cassette tape. Oh yes, I said cassette.

Now back to our regularly scheduled post.......

I am a total movie fanatic. I love going to see movies, smuggling in candy and taking advantage of its free heat or AC during the winter or summer.

And now that we're almost half-way through the summer movie season, here are the movies I cannot wait to go see:

Public Enemies
Love Michael Mann and of course Johnny Depp and Christian Bale. Bring it on! Plus it was filmed in Wisconsin :)

Time Traveler's Wife
This book broke a piece of me inside. That said, I'm curious how they will remake this. Plus Rachel McAdams is gorgeous!

Transformers 2 (woo hoo!)
Checking my brain at the door and watching lots of stuff get blown up. Awesomeness

500 Days of Summer
I'm obsessed with this trailer. I love Joseph Gordon-Levitt and there are musical numbers!

GI Joe
My brother had all the toys growing up, I think he's more excited about this than me. And there should be some sweet man eye candy too

Julie/Julia
Haven't read the book but I love Amy Adams and the trailer makes me want to learn to cook!

Funny People
Hopefully as funny as "Knocked Up" without being too long

Paper Heart
Cute story about falling in love. Cast looks great

Movies not on the list:

My Sister's Keeper
The book broke my heart, I know I won't be able to stop the tears. And I don't know how believable Cameron Diaz is as a mom

Harry Potter
I've never read any of the books or seen any of the movies. No lie!

On a quick side note, TC and I hit the movie theater last weekend and opted not to scan for guys but rather just enjoy the AC and relax.

We saw "Away We Go" and "The Hangover." I know, two TOTALLY different films.

First, "Away We Go" was great. I highly recommend it. My boyfriend John K was great and Maya Rudolph totally surprised me. She's matured well beyond SNL. Yes, John looks like Grizzly Adams (nothing a razor and scissors can't fix) but it was really well acted, written and directed. A great mix of happy and sad with some really funny scenes mixed in.

And "the Hangover," makes me look at my Vegas trip very differently! Boy it was tame in comparison. And it makes me want to go back to Vegas right now. The movie is absolutely hilarious, but slightly distasteful too. So go see it :)

What movies are you looking forward to seeing this summer? Any big plans for the weekend?

31 comments:

EP said...

You've highlighted most every movie I want to see this summer BUT HP. Like you, I never read or saw one of the movies until I started dating my boy. He tricked me into watching a movie, then I started reading the books, and well, I cannot wait for the Half-Blood Prince.

Also, I need to read the Time Traveler's Wife before I see the movie. I've been meaning to do that for FOREVER.

~M~ said...

I am reading My Sister's Keeper right now. Once I finish it I totally want to see the movie!

Erin said...

I'm horrible about seeing movies in the theater. I always think I'm going to go and then I never do. My husband will really want to see the HP movie, though, so I'll probably see that with him. "Away We Go" looked cute but I won't die if I don't see it.

StartingOver@28 said...

I too am a movie fanatic, a job perk. Last weekend alone I went to Ghosts of Girlfriends Past, The Proposal and Taking of Pelham 1 2 3. So I will see all of the above and then some! =)

Mandy said...

I have Thriller on a cassette too. =)

I am looking forward to the Time Travelers Wife as well.

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

The TTW is one of Josh and my favorite books- like one of the reasons we fell in love and got married, and the previews look so bad, like it's not even the same thing, that we are thinking about not seeing it. I mean, we will see it, but right now we are acting like we won't on sheer principle.

Maki said...

What a sad day indeed......

I can't wait for Public Enemy - my Christian Bale is in it! :) I am thinking about going to see "My Sister's Keeper"

Have a great weekend, Jess!

xoxo

Angela Noelle said...

I can't even put into words how much I am looking forward to Harry Potter. It's embarrassing.

Public Enemies looks great too. I love me some Johnny Depp!

Iva Messy said...

it is SUCH a sad day!!!

Anonymous said...

Saw the preview for GI Joe, looks intense!

I enjoyed Transformers 2. Like, it was super lamely mysogynistic, but the super awesomeness of the Transformers made up for it! I think there's a seven year old boy lurking inside of me... I had a ninja turtles birthday cake when i was 4...

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know about half those movies. Now I have something to look forward to! Thanks! I looooved the hangover. So funny. And tonight I'm seeing Transformers. I can't wait for Public Enemies, that one is at the tippy top of my list.

Hepburn Hilton said...

I'm lookingh forward to a lot of the same movies this summer. Should be fun!

The hangover keeps gettings uch great reviews from everybody so maybe I have to go see it. I wasn't planning to as it seems a little bit to "American Pie"-ish for my taste

A Girl said...

Also obsessed with 500 days of Summer!! Can't wait to see it!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Might be more difficult to find a cassette player than it will be to locate the actual cassette!

I'd like to say I want to see the Julia Child movie or Away We Go, but the reality is Sweets and I never go to the movies. So, it's doubtful I'll see either.

Kyla Roma said...

Oh, see I'm planning to re-read the book before the next Harry Potter movie is out. I'm a relentless nerd lol

And I'm dying to see 500 days of summer too! Can't wait to hear what you think about it!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure I can handle seeing the Time Traveler's Wife because I LOVED the book, but I'm sure I'll go see it anyway because like you said, Rachel McAdams is great! I'm 100% with you on all the must-see movies and the not-see movies. Strange how that works out, huh?

I loved the Hangover and I'm seeing Away We Go tonight! I can't wait =)

Anonymous said...

ok, i'm super excited about this, but Public Enemies was also filmed in my hometown, Oshkosh, WI for 5 days! i was there! i didn't get to see him, but my little sister went and braved the masses and got to touch his arm and take lots of pictures of him. i feel so cool just talking about her doing this stuff. i'm so proud of her, haha

ok, yes, but i want to see most of those movies as well.
*composes self*

thatShortchick said...

I REALLY want to see Julie&Julia. Meryl Streep = movie goddess in my book so I will see whatever she is in.

And I want to see Away We Go because I enjoy John K. and Maya Rudolph.

I had no clue they made G.I. Joe into a movie! not planning on seeing it though.

jenn said...

wow - i had no idea so many movies were coming out - now i want to see a bunch of them too!

Suz said...

I can't wait to see My Sister's Keeper, The Time Traveler's Wife, and Harry Potter because I've read all of those books and even though the movies are never as good, it is fun to see them played out on the big screen.

I didn't know about half of the movies on your list, so I'll have to check out the trailers. Also if you haven't seen The Hangover, you must! So FUNNY!

Katelin said...

i seriously want to see every one of the movies you mentioned, haha. i am such a sucker for summer movies. i just need to find the time to go! :)

Ali said...

I saw Away We Go too and just loved it. I am in looove with John Krasinski and Maya Rudolph was fantastic! Their chemistry was great, the movie was great. It was just...great.

REALLY want to see The Time Traveler's Wife as well! I saw The Proposal last night and that movie was in the previews. Looks so good, but I need to read the book first!

A Super Girl said...

I read Julie and Julia and was a bit "meh" about it...I'm thinking it will be good as a movie though.

I'm looking forward to seeing My Sister's Keeper, though I, too, am a bit skeptical about the whole Cameron Diaz/mom thing.

Amanda said...

I have been dying to see Away We Go, in fact I am probably going to see it this weekend by myself.

Paper Hearts and 500 Days of Summer are both on my must-see list, and I've been meaning to read The Time Traveller's Wife so I'll probably do that and check out the movie.

I'm with you on My Sister's Keeper, I cried my eyes out when I read it a few years back, don't think I could sit through the movie knowing that I will cry.

Maggie said...

I feel the same way about the Time Traveler's Wife, I just hope the movie doesn't ruin it.

I vote we go with a bunch of girls to see it!

I'm definitely looking forward to Public Enemies and HP though too!

nicole antoinette said...

This made me realize how infrequently I go to the movies. Johnny Depp movie? Yes. Harry Potter? Also yes!

LWLH said...

So sad about all the celebrity deaths...

I cant wait to see Funny People and Me and Big Man saw Transformers yesterday and it was good.....LOTTTTTSSS of shit bein blown up

Moonjava said...

I do want to see Depp/Bale, both in the same movie *hold me back*

Lol, but I also want to see HP, never thought I'd like the series, but my research advisor back in undergrad suggested it, and I've never looked back. Twilight is the series that I doubt I'd read or watch though. I'm not a RPatt fan...*ducks the tomatoes*

Andhari said...

I cannot wait for harry potter, the wait itself has made me crazy all these months.

Katie said...

Great list! I'm a little nervous about seeing Transformers. The first one was really intense and I think I was sitting in the front of the theater for it. I don't think you're safe anywhere though from that one!!!

Anonymous said...

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but
your sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your site to come back later. Many thanks

Here is my blog post :: easy payday cash advances
Also see my web page > I agree with that