Monday, December 29, 2008

Is that what you're wearing?

I absolutely hate this question because it's a dumb one. My sarcastic response to this question usually is: yes, this is what I'm wearing, I don't go naked out in public (only around the house occasionally.) 

I bring this up today because of an incident that happened last week, that I actively tweeted about because I was so upset.

Saturday night was my cousin's wedding, just outside of Madison, and I made the FATAL mistake of bringing a dress but not shoes back with me because I was in a such a rush to pack before leaving Chicago. 

I didn't think this oversight was a huge deal because I had a less formal backup outfit, which I wore for Christmas (argyle sweater, skirt, tights and flats - adorable). I know it wasn't the perfect outfit, but I thought it would be fine.

Why did I think this? Because it's a Wisconsin wedding. I don't want to sound mean, but where we were going, Packer gear, scrunchies, nylons with runs in them and Super Bowl jackets rule. I didn't see a need to get "Chicago dressed up" for this. Plus, I'm on vacation, cut me some slack.

Well, when my stepmom heard about my outfit choice, she freaked out and told me it "wasn't appropriate" and I couldn't wear it. I told her it wasn't a big deal, but she forced me to try on around 20 outfits of hers (which don't fit me) as alternatives before I found something she approved for me to wear. But of course I didn't have shoes for this ridiculousness so my dad and I had to go out and BUY some, which I have no desire to wear again, and I made him pay for because I was on the verge of tears.

I may very well have overreacted to this (because in the end I looked nice), but I think it was the way she said to me, "is that what you're wearing? No way, I don't approve." Hi, I'm 29 years old, I may not have the best fashion sense, but back off! I was forced to dress up like I was going out to a formal event in Chicago, in an ugly coat I had to borrow, and strappy heels in the rain.

In the end, I went to "dead inside" mode and let them dress me up like a life-size doll and I was one of the most overdressed person at this wedding. But the crappy house wine helped make it better. And my HUGE J-Lo-like hair was pretty bad ass.

Here is a picture of my hair and part of the dress I wore that night. I won't lie. I looked pretty good, but I still think it was a lot of unnecessary fuss.

37 comments:

TKTC said...

I love that I can hear you saying this to me while I'd reading it. Particularly the sarcastic response. And I'm sorry SM was being such an unnecessary biz but I am LOVING the hair!!!

Living Dees Life said...

oh i feel you on this one! i use to get that all the time from the ex and his mom! she use to try and dress me up and make me buy clothes she liked. i told her "you buy em then if you want me to have them" and she did!

my biggest pet peeve at the moment regarding clothes is the "supervisor" she's always commenting on mine and Pic's wardrobes but she's the one that looks frumpy and dumpy! i wouldn't wear what she wears!

hell, they should be happy i don't go to work naked! (just kidding --altho walking around in your "skinnies" is awesome at home!!!)

Mandy said...

You know I feel your pain on this! My mom flipped out because the back of the top I had originally chosen to wear had the potential to show part of the tattoo on my back "and what would the rest of family think if they saw that tattoo (for the record its a ladybug on flowers, not a skull and crossbones). What is it about wedding drama that forces our parents to treat us as if we are children instead of intelligent 20-somethings capable of dressing ourselves?

You look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Your hair has oomph!!

brandyismagic said...

"In the end, I went to "dead inside" mode..."- Greatest line. EVER.

Also, is it wrong that I actually really like the hair? Because I do.

erin said...

i wouldn't have recognized you with that hair - it is sassy!

and yes, that is annoying. esp when people can get away with scrunchies.

Arielle said...

Your hair totally looks amazingggg!

B said...

That would've bugged me out completely.

Pretty Unfamous said...

I would have been PISSED off if my mom made me dress up (unnecessarily) for a wedding. But, your hair looked fab.

Jessica Lawlor said...

Beautiful hair!

Heidi Renée said...

At least she didn't make you wear a scrunchie.

My mom is always picking on my sister and I about our clothes. Me about my boobs (they're big, I know, and I try to keep things under control the best I can without looking like I'm wearing a straitjacket) and my sister about her fat rolls that sometimes spill over her pants if she doesn't have them pulled up. Mother dearest does this like we're not aware of our flaws, but oh my god WE KNOW WE KNOW WE KNOW because she's told us 500 million times!

Heidi Renée said...

So wait... she didn't like the backup outfit or your original dress? What was wrong with the original dress?

Maki said...

Ohhh, you look totally different with the hair!!! And You're not smiling (which usually you do smile for camera) - I think you have all the right to be upset. But you look lovely in the dress and I'm totally digging the hair:)

S. said...

I agree, "Is that what your wearing?!" is just about the most annoying question EVERRR!

Maxie said...

I know what you mean-- it's not really about having to change, it's about someone telling you that you need to.

Ray said...

love the hair!

I also hate that question of "is that what you're wearing??" I am already self conscience about dressing up in the first place most of the time.

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

*rolls eyes at the question*

I hate it when people say that to me. But at least my mom refrains from it because SHE has no clue what to wear :P So I end up helping her if she asks.

Fabulously Broke in the City
Just a girl trying to find a balance between being a Shopaholic and a Saver...

Rebekah said...

I love your hair in curls! There's no J. Lo about it, you look gorgeous. But I can't imagine the dress-up pain. I'd rather have endured Walmart shoe pain for the original dress, I think...

(P.S.: I forgot my shoes for volleyball yesterday and had to borrow an 8.5 from a friend - I wear 6.5!)

Anonymous said...

I love the hair. Seriously!

LBluca77 said...

Love the JLo hair. I hate when people ask that question too, kinda like when someone says you look tired. That is just code for "you look like shit"

Cheryl said...

Did your nylons have runs in them? You should have added a Packers scrunchy...to your wrist, wouldn't want to mess up the lovely hair. And? You survived!

Preston said...

Sometimes you just have to be the bigger person and roll over and play dead.

thatShortchick said...

hahaha...i love preston's comment!

at least you got through it all.

Tiffany said...

fabulous hair!!!

Anonymous said...

The hair is effing hot!!!

Anonymous said...

You'd think people would let you make your own decisions by now... cute hair!

Daisy said...

Love the hair, and I hear you loud and clear on that kind of parental remark that makes me scream inside. My Granny's was the best though - she would just look at me and say, "Ok, we've got to leave in a minute - go and make yourself look pretty!"

Megkathleen said...

You do look very cute! Although, if my mom had said that to me there would have been lots of screaming involved. You're much nicer than me.

Katelin said...

house wine always makes things better. :)

Medicated and Motivated said...

You are a much nicer person than me! I would have told them that I was either wearing my own clothes or I wouldn't go. I'm very stubborn though....the more someone tells me not to do something, the more I want to do it.

Anonymous said...

sounds like you should stop whining so much.

Anonymous said...

WOW! You're almost 30 (according to this post), but you guilt your father into buying you things, pout like a four-year old and still make a Christmas list? WOW! Life is sad and it seems so are you!

Rachel said...

Really Anonymous? SHE'S the sad one? You are the one that leaves comments on the internet and don't even have the guts to use your name? Seems pretty sad to be stalking someone just so that you can yell something and then run away...


Really?

Mandy said...

Go Rachel!!

I upsets me when people don't have the guts to back up what they say with their name.

Anonymous said...

Okay, so I have to say sorry for the anonymous posting, but this is actually coming from a friend that doesn't want to deal with RAGE GIRL because I truly value your friendship. I just think you come across a little materialistic sometimes and way too critical of others. When I said "Life is sad, and so are you.", it wasn't a put-down; I was only trying to point out that over time your blog has seemed sad and I wonder if you are, too. Focus on the true meaning of Christmas...

Sara said...

I think you look adorable...even if you didn't LOVE the outfit!

Princess Pointful said...

You are the hotness, though, so let's focus on that!