Why do I say that? Well, my little apartment is now decorated for the holidays, with the tree and ornaments in full display and with a few gifts for others under the tree. (Pictures below) I used to do Cirque du Soleil acts to hang tree lights around the apartment, but I'm leaving that alone for now. Or until I can convince one of my tall guy friends to help me out. I say thank you in beer.
Moving on, here are my key learnings!
- Holiday shopping on Michigan Avenue on Saturdays is m-i-s-e-r-a-b-l-e
- Champagne + Bloody Marys + beer = a fun night
- I am a Rock Band goddess when singing Oasis' Wonderwall (100 percent baby!)
- Beer makes me sing a lot better in front of people
- Never keep your parents waiting when they're in town to visit (they don't stop calling)
- Watching your parents while they're intoxicated is funny but also unnerving
- When it's 10 degrees out with a windchill, leggings and a fleece jacket are cute, but not weather-appropriate attire, go put some real pants on
- Do not stand in front of the Twilight section at Borders. Tourist girls will push you out of the way to get a poster
- Always call early to schedule any pre-holiday "lady-scaping" appointments, otherwise your eyebrows might have to wax themselves
- Mild, hunger-driven temper tantrums still happen in your twenties
- Getting a St. Nick stocking from your parents still rocks
Typical Nordstrom event behavior
My parents came in to town this weekend for their annual pre-holiday shopping trip and our attendance at the Nordstrom's customer appreciation night. My behavior from last time is fairly infamous within my family, but fortunately, dad was the one who was "overserved." *Insert evil laugh* Now we're even and I was even the bigger person and didn't lecture him the way I was after my past behavior.
But I did have fun trying on silly hats like this one. Personally, I think it works for me.
Gal's Guide and Banana Republic
On Friday, I went with some awesome co-workers to the Gal's Guide event at Banana Republic on Michigan Avenue, where we got free hair and make up consultations by Maxine Salon and the opportunity to shop the entire store at another 25 percent off. A nice stylist curled my hair, which looked adorable, and I walked out with riding boots (which will be from Santa), an LBD for the holiday and the real find, a khaki trench coat with brown tortoise buttons for....$44, marked down from $250. Woo woo!
My apartment's holiday decor
I did fall short of getting my Christmas cards done, but I did get my tree up and decorated. I even put out the Pottery Barn festive jewels on some furniture and the windowsill to really set the mood.
Here is a picture of my tree. It's not much, but it's adorable and my apartment really feels festive :) I'm enjoying looking at it right now, lit up in my apartment. Yay!
My holiday bejeweled windowsill
So how was everyone else's weekend. Anyone else go holiday shopping or have a nightmare time at the stores? It's high tourist season here now so the sidewalks are bananas.