Common Threads was co-founded by chef Art Smith to educate children on the importance of nutrition and teach them to make proper food choices through cooking education. It's a really great cause.
I'm writing this recap and noshing on caramel popcorn from Graham Elliott (in a convenient Chinese take-out box,) thinking of how I can recap this great evening for everyone. So we'll do it in a bulleted form!
Here are some highlights:
- Seeing Gail Simmons, Top Chef judge and Food & Wine editor, within the first two minutes of arriving and saying (loudly,) "OMG it's Gail, I die!" FYI: she is gorgeous in person, skinny and petite while rocking sky-high heels
- Hunting down Stephanie Izard from Top Chef Season 4 and over enthusiastically saying how excited I am to meet her, like several times, oh and how I "hunted her down" to meet her. Probably thinks I'm c-r-a-z-y!
- Getting winked at (twice!) by Michelle Bernstein. So cute and petite (just like me)
- Saying hi to Mr. Graham Elliott Bowles himself and having him offer to shove leftover caramel popcorn in my purse. Really wish I brought a bigger bag
- Best meal: Pork and pasta by Michelle Bernstein. Why was it so good? Perfectly cooked meat that melts in your mouth. Why was it also good? Butter and cream. Num and nummier
- Best meal runners-up: Goat cheese from Les Nomades and Swedish pancake with goat cheese from Blackbird
- Most bittersweet dish: Pork and shrimp by Stephanie Izard. It was good, but a little underseasoned for my taste. Still love her though
- Best drink: Trust me, I behaved myself, but the champagne, Gran Marnier and pomegranate juice concoction was very lovely
- Other reality-star sighting: Ken from season two of Make Me A Supermodel (he was smiling with his eyes)
Also, while I am sometimes awkward in social situations, I was a TOTAL ham at the party. I had a list of people I wanted to meet and I hunted them all down to say hi. I went right up to Gail Simmons, Stephanie Izard and Radhika from Top Chef and geeked out about how excited I was to meet them. What can I say, I'm a huge Top Chef fan.
I know not everyone may know who these people are, but I had to share this because it was a great night and a great treat to go. Plus, I got to get semi-dressed up in a cute Banana Republic jersey LBD and shoes, which were torture devices near the end of the night. And, I got to sample great, fancy food I would never be able to make. Well, maybe if I could just move beyond making pasta at home....
So the question for everyone tonight is...what is your favorite restaurant/dish to order when you go out? One of my colleagues admitted tonight she's a huge Olive Garden fan, never would have guessed that!