- Gossip Girl
- My own safety
Let me set the scene for you: last night I'm watching Gossip Girl in my apartment when I smell smoke. And not cooking-on-the-grill smoke but fire smoke. I ignore it, thinking it's not a big deal when then hear a beeping, like from a smoke detector...which isn't stopping either.
So I open my apartment door (after putting some pants on) and was stunned to see the entire hallway filling with smoke. Thinking I was hallucinating, I went back inside, locked the door and sat back down to watch more Gossip Girl (because I love that show) until I am compelled to get back up and check the hallway again, and to no shock see it filled with even MORE smoke.
Finally, I had a "holy shit" moment, tweeted about the incident, and ran down the hall to find the source of the smoke and knock on my neighbors doors. Hearing a girl in the apartment across from the smoking source, I banged on her door, hearing her angrily telling her friend on the phone to "hold on" so she can answer the "f*cking door." Sorry, next time I won't try to save your life. B*tch.
When I point out to her what's going on, she says to me, "holy shit, what should we do?" Are you kidding me?
"I'll call 911, I guess?" I said, moreso shocked that the person with the phone has no idea what to do. Maybe she was smoking something else in that apartment.
So I run back into my apartment, call 911, put some slippers on and...well evacuate the building (not using the elevator), where the sidewalk is now filling with my building's tenants, including women in various stages of dress, and all of their cats. Apparently I was in the minority of not owning one. And when I saw the cats, I couldn't help but have a flashback to the Office Superbowl episode when Angela tossed her cat to Oscar to save him from the fire. Hilarious.
But the entire time I was out there, I couldn't help but chastise myself about not grabbing my wallet, or Lulu, or Speedy...or a coat. Oh and the odd girl I alerted to the fire was out smoking, next to the fire truck.
Thanks to my Chicago tax dollars, the fire and police departments showed up quickly and went to break down the door to the apartment on my floor. The culprit? Some a-hole left food in the oven and left the oven on when she left the apartment that evening. Fortunately, the fire department didn't have to use the hose but I did have to air out my apartment all last night and today. So it could have been worse but damn that smell was bad.
So it was quite an exciting evening. And while I get a big fire FAIL, I did get to go back in pretty quickly and enjoy the rest of Gossip Girl and my new love, Yoplait Chocolate Mousse Whips. After that excitement, I needed to enjoy my Chuck Bass time with a tasty treat, especially after the show has been in hiatus for so long!
Feel free to begin teasing me about my silly behavior or let me know what you would save if you had to evacuate your apartment right away. Or if you did watch Gossip Girl, what did you think?