Being in New York has been great, but before we get to that, let's hit the key learnings.
- Everything in NYC is more expensive. Everything
- Cab drivers are much nicer about paying by credit cards than Chicago drivers (Chicago cabbies should take note)
- Being awake for nearly 24 hours can start to mess with your head, especially with daylight savings added on
- Eating a cupcake made from pure sugar will help keep you awake
- Walking is the best way to see New York, but be sure to take breaks and don't walk 60+ blocks in one trip
- When an "unmarked" cab driver asks if you want to ride share with a guy who is "out for a smoke," say no
- Eating with bloggers is the best because everyone takes pictures before we eat
- Asking me what I "wish" for will automatically get a response of, "a pretty pony"
- Every accessory you could need can be bought on the street, especially $5 wraps (bought four this weekend. Someone stop me)
- Snapple is more readily available in NYC than anything else, even water
- A pet store and bong shop make for interesting retail neighbors. Get baked and then get a dog 50 percent off!
- Hint: when someone tells you not to take a picture, that doesn't dissuade me, it makes me more determined
Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to upload any of my pictures from this weekend because Lulu didn't come with me, so those will be coming soon. I got some great photos.
When tourists come to Chicago, we residents are not always the nicest when we talk about them. They flood the sidewalks and ask dumb questions to the bus drivers. But, this time the shoe was on the other foot, as I was a tourist in NYC this weekend. But I like to think I was still "big city savvy" when maneuvering around.
It's late here and I have a big day Monday so here is another list, this time of things I did in NYC this weekend:
- Met my friend Maris at the Empire State Building (very Sleepless in Seattle)
- Walked from Midtown to West Village to Upper East Side back to Midtown (my legs were killing me)
- Waited in line for a Magnolia cupcake (and then went back Sunday for another one)
- Had an uncomfortably close encounter with a pigeon (I am scared of them)
- Found my favorite candy at Dylan's Candy Bar and overpaid for it
- Ate at Craftbar with Ashley and Maris (give it a grade of a B, but I do recommend the appetizers we had: crispy chicken wings with spiced creme fraiche, mushroom bruschetta and chickpea fries)
- Celebrated Lacey's engagement with awesome New York bloggers and a retired Chicago blogger
- Had bloggy brunch at SaraBeth's with lovely lady New York bloggers with salmon eggs Benedict
- Acted like a total tourist, taking pictures of Times Square, Fifth Avenue and Rockefeller Center
- Sat on a bench, watching a couple flirt on their first date and a man drink gin straight from the bottle
- Dined at Perilla with Ashley (give it a grade of an A+++++) My pork loin, hanger steak with creamed spinach and mushrooms, risotto and apple bread pudding was just beyond words. But no Harold sighting (shoot!)
Tomorrow I head back to a flooded Chicago and I'm looking forward to it. But I guarantee I won't let another three years go by without a weekend out here. It was a lot of fun!
How was everyone else's weekend?