Sunday, April 12, 2009

Key Learnings, Easter and candy coma

Happy Easter everyone! I don't know about you all but right now I am in a near Thanksgiving-like coma from all the food today. Seriously, I need to take out my contacts stat in case I just fall asleep. 

So before that happens, let's hit the key learnings.

Key Learnings:
  • I may lose my mind if it doesn't get warm in the Midwest soon. I have such cute stuff to wear!
  • Getting an Easter basket as an adult is still a nice treat
  • Amy Adams is good in just about any movie she is in. Give her an Oscar, please!
  • Your dad is a keeper when he holds your purse in public while you take pictures
  • It's okay to play tourist in your hometown
  • Cupcakes make an acceptable dinner
  • If struggling with a clip on a hanger, don't force it to move because it will snap at any moment and cut your finger open (guilty!)
  • It's okay to skip wearing a belt to Easter brunch so there is more room for the food indulgence
  • Don't walk around your parent's house half-dressed unless you know they're not home or coming upstairs any time soon
  • In order to bond with your parents, you do things you normally wouldn't do, like watch hours of the Master's golf tournament or Fox News
  • At Easter brunch, don't guzzle down a Bloody Mary on an empty stomach or you will be intoxicated before the meal (again)
On the Easter theme, I woke up this morning (after being rudely woken up at 6 a.m. initially) and found that the Easter bunny visited me!! YAY! I saw basket grass in our house and hoped it was for me, and it was!

Here is a picture of my Easter basket, full of Burt's Bees and chocolate goodies. Now I have more Ghirardelli squares to smuggle into the movies and my favorite lip balm and Burt's products. Thank you bunny!


After the basket reveal, we went to my stepmom's sister's house for brunch, where I binged on homemade cinnamon rolls (amazing!) and found out were were celebrating a family member's birthday, complete with...a Twilight cake! And while indulging, a 12 year old and I talked about Twilight as if we were...kids. 


Finally, I went crazy taking pictures this weekend around home. I loaded all of them on my Flickr page if you want to check them out. I went a little nuts taking photos at an indoor farmer's market and around the city. Here are some of my favorites:

Cheese in Wisconsin-familiar shapes

Rose in full bloom (yes I did take this picture)

Art Museum

So how was everyone else's Easter weekend? Did anyone else get an Easter basket or eat way too much candy? What is your favorite Easter candy?

Also, has anyone seen the Peeps contest? The Washington Post does it every year but I found pictures of the finalists on the Tribune site too. Some of them are so clever!

Reader note: Thank you everyone for the great comments on the movie quote post on Thursday. I was laughing the entire day at quotes you all left. And hello to all the new commenters too! I cannot believe I forgot Clueless or Legally Blonde or even Seinfeld. All of those have great quotes too. It was so much fun to read your comments, it made my day!

19 comments:

Mandy said...

I didnt get an easter basket but I did drink a lot (spending time with my grandma and greatgrandmother causes that) and eat ridiculous amounts of candy.

bianca said...

I did get a lovely visit from the Easter Bunny. Basket full of bath goodies, candy, and movie tickets! It reminds me of being a kid again and I love it!

I also ate way too much, but that's what Easter is for!

thatShortchick said...

no visit from the easter bunny but i did eat my weight in potatoes (and ham) today.

bravo to you on stomaching extended viewing of FoxNoise.

Anonymous said...

That Twilight cake is probably one of the cutest cakes I've seen in a long time. :)

Glad you had a fun weekend!

erin - heart in ireland said...

Sounds like a fun weekend :)

Nice Easter basket, and what a cute cake!

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

looks like a great weekend as always jess.

and i agree with amy adams - i saw sunshine cleaning today, so good.

SA said...

Your rose picture is lovely.

Okay, I totally watched hours of Master's coverage. Here's the thing-I'm from the South. And the Master's around here is like wearing pastels to church on Easter. You HAVE to do it. It's the one and only golf tournament I watch and enjoy.

It's tradition. And you don't mess with tradition. Or so I've heard.

LWLH said...

Great pictures...I esp love the Twilight one..(awesome cake)

Living Dees Life said...

you indeed had a great weekend! and way to score on the easter basket :)

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

My key learning from the weekend? It's ok to wear lounge pants under your skirt up until the moment you're expected to walk into church to keep your legs warm.

Lys said...

looks like you were in milwaukee! i miss living in wisconsin for numerous reasons, one being the shaped cheese. but you can't beat wisconsin cheese. it's pretty much the best thing ever.

if i was still living at home, i'm sure i would have gotten an easter basket, but instead, j and i hid eggs with little notes in them for eachother. it was fun :)

jenn said...

yay wisconsin!! :) i actually live only about 2 blocks south of the art museum (in the third ward) and our wedding reception was at discovery world on the 3rd floor in that round room (right next to the art museum). did you stop at the mars cheese castle? ;)

Anonymous said...

I still get an Easter basket. My favorite Easter candy is Cadbury Mini Eggs. They are so addicting!

I just checked out the Peep contest, and it is so cute! Some of the entries were hilarious.

TKTC said...

You know what? I love Milwaukee. I really do. And those cheese shapes? I bought the cow one at the Mars Cheese Castle the last time I was headed to Mil. Which was, remarkably, 1 year ago tomorrow. And Hell Yes to that Twilight cake.

Anonymous said...

What lovely photos you have!

I didn't have an Easter basket per se (lucky!), but I did get a sweet little card from the boyfriend's parents with jelly-belly's and a Starbucks gift card. I also got a case of Corona Light beer from the boyfriend's aunt and uncle. I'd say I got good Easter loot =)

p.s. I have your website linked on my website, by the by : )

Jenn said...

That Twilight cake looks too good to eat!

Katelin said...

i love all of your key learnings, haha, all of them.

and um i totally met one of matt's 13 year old cousins and we talked twilight for a good 30 mins this weekend, whoops, :)

EP said...

OMG. That Twilight cake is fantastic!

Happy belated Easter! It sounds like you had a lovely weekend!

Sarah Alway said...

Sadly, my parents stopped doing easter baskets a couple years ago... now they just buy candy and put it in bowls all over the house... not good for my pre bikiki season dieting!

I LOVE Peep contests! My family had one of our own this year (you've already seen the slideshow on my blog, thanks for the comment!) and it was SO much fun. We're definitely going to make it an annual event.