Sunday, April 5, 2009

Key learnings, thinking spring and movie marathons

I may have spoken too soon at the whole "thinking spring" thing because Chicago is supposed to get 1-3 inches of snow tonight. *Pause for my expletive tirade*

Moving on, while I pull out the snow boots for tomorrow, let's hit the key learnings.

Key Learnings:
  • When in doubt, grilled cheese or mac and cheese is always a good lunch or dinner food option
  • Before deviating from your grocery list, make sure you can handle carrying the extra indulgence (it can be a long walk if you can't)
  • You can never eat just a few Swedish Fish, the bag will magically disappear
  • Clive Owen is smoking hot
  • Just because it's 50 degrees, doesn't mean you should wear flip flops or shorts. It's not that warm
  • When a customer says she "needs a minute" to decide on products to buy, don't snort in disgust and dramatically walk away. It's rude b*tch
  • Diets don't count on the weekends
  • A beer on a Friday night tastes like sweet heaven (just like Chipotle)
  • When your bus driver gets road rage, it's okay to hold on for dear life
  • Not everyone wears make up on the weekends, don't stare at them for doing so
  • Any meal with cheese on it is going to taste good. Same with bacon
  • The weather report is a key indicator as to the "need" to shave your legs for the upcoming week
Movie Marathon: 
Lately, I've been watching a ton of movies. It's my go-to for stress relief, after the gym and eating my weight in ice cream or candy. 

Netflix hasn't been sending me the best selection lately so I've started going to the theater again and hitting up Redbox near my house.

In the last two weekends, I've watched the following movies:
  • Twilight
  • Australia
  • Slumdog Millionaire
  • Pineapple Express
  • Marley & Me
  • X-Files: I Want to Believe
  • I Love You Man
  • Duplicity
As you can see, I've been busy.

Marley & Me was my big must-see this weekend. I stalked Redbox twice on Friday and finally got it, with tissues ready and everything. I have to say, I'm not a huge pet person, but the tears did flow. Not convulsing sobs but steady tears. And it was nice to see Owen Wilson move away from the man-boy movies.

Oh and thanks to I Love You Man, my new phrase is "totes magoats." So funny. The only movie from this list I don't recommend seeing is X-Files. Bad movie. Disgrace to the TV show.

Speaking of TV, what's up with Gossip Girl going on hiatus until the end of the month? WTF? And the Hills is starting again, which means I can go back to watching Spencer be a d-bag and Stephanie be a doormat. Lucky me.

So I know this post was a little boring, but hey, I had a relaxing weekend so there isn't anything overly juicy to share!

What did everyone else do this weekend? See any good movies or watch some basketball? Or what movies are coming up that you want to see? Discuss!

32 comments:

Arielle said...

Haha, totes magoats is totally my new fav phrase as well.

shanna said...

I am in total denial about the snow and told my brother it was just fluffy rain while we moved him into his new apartment today.

PS - I saw Marley & Me yesterday and sobbed my eyes out. I'm like that, though. And I totally agree about Owen Wilson - finally!

LBluca77 said...

I didn't know the Hills was back on soon. Not sure if I am ready for Spencer and Heidi. Seriously can't stand those two.

Marley and Me is a cute movie. i watched it again this weekend and cried my eyes out.

michelle said...

your snow is supposed to be rain by the time it comes east (nova scotia) ... personally, i am just repeating the mantra, "no more snow. no more snow." this winter has been way too long.

i agree about clive owen ... and the lack of new gossip girl ... oh, and the premature summer clothes. it seems that as soon as wel get a degree above freezing, people get all seasonally inappropriate with their clothing.

Andhari said...

"spence = dbag, steph = doormat"

LOL well said, what's wrong with the whole Pratt family anyway?:P

Someone wore flipflops? on 50 degrees? I might pull on thicker coats and boots, you know it's considered very cold over here :P

Jenny Grace said...

My very FAVE weekend junkfood choice is grilled cheese plus bacon and avocado. With french fries and a side of ranch. And an icy cold coke. Cures any hangover.

A Super Girl said...

Totally second the excellent addition that cheese makes to any meal.

Also, I sobbed on Friday while watching Marley and Me. Sobbed.

Finally, snow is a bitch. I think we're getting a smattering in Detroit as well. Not happy.

Andi said...

It was slightly warmer this weekend in SF and I saw chicks in shorts and flip-flops..crazy!!! Clive is HOT HOT HOT!!!

very married said...

that second lesson is an important one to learn... i did it the hard way.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i saw i love you man today - LOVED it. gah, jason segal i love you.

LWLH said...

"When in doubt, grilled cheese or mac and cheese is always a good lunch or dinner food option"...it's like you were following me ysterday. That was my lunch and dinner menu.

And I Love You Man was hilarious..I ♥ Jason Segel and Paul "Pistol" Rudd is so awkardly funny in this movie. Two thumbs up.

Unknown said...

I haven't seen I Love You Man yet, but I heart Paul Rudd. A lot.

I won my hoops pool at work! Woohoo $200! and I'm sorry about your snow. I enjoy how the WSox postponed their opener before the snow even fell. I'll be sending warm thoughts your way, even though I live in the greater Philly area, and it's cold and rainy here...

Anonymous said...

My boyfriend went out of town so I went over to two friends of mine and stayed over. We played board games, took long walks and cooked together. Very nice and relaxing.

I haven't seen many movies lately. I still want to go see a few but money's tight so the cinema was one of the first things to get scratched from the priorities list.

cmay said...

omg, how awesome was i love you, man. hilarious!!

Tiffany said...

i disagree about the flip flops! i wear them a ton when when its cold because my feet dont get cold and i hate shoes. once they come out for the season, snow be damned!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I still need to see a few of the movies on your list, though definitely not all of them. My weekend involved visiting parents and a whirlwind of activity around their visit. Oh yeah and maybe cheering my team onto victory. Tonight is a big night for me and my fellow Tar Heels!

morgan said...

Definite props for the Clive Owen nod, because yes, he is H-O-T, hot! And the only thing better than a beer and Chipotle on Friday is having them together on Friday. It's like your mouth is on vacation...

thatShortchick said...

even though i didn't LOVE i love you, man, i have stolen "totes mahgoats" and use it every chance i get.

Living Dees Life said...

as always i can agree and sympathize with all of your keyleanings.

movies: the new fast and furious we're going to see next weekend.

what have i been doing? agonizing over the guest list.. damn guest list! and my softheart.

Wheels said...

I'm excited The Hills is almost back, I couldn't get into The City. I want to see Australia! Doing some shopping in my town on Saturday, I felt really out of place b/c I wasn't wearing make-up, designer clothes nor was my hair did. :)

Mandy said...

I agree with Tiffany, once the winter stuff is put away for the season, I refuse to pull it back out regardless of how cold it gets. In my world not wearing makeup is perfectly acceptable. I very rarely wear anything besides eyeliner, mascara and lip gloss these days.

Anonymous said...

lol "totes magoats" i haven't seen I Love You Man yet, but it sounds funny.

and really? hiatus on GG? lame.

Katelin said...

um i definitely use totes magotes in regular conversation now, haha. love that movie.

Meg Kathleen said...

Did you like Australia? I just keep hearing horrible things about it and I wanted to like it so much, but I'm scared to see it now.

golublog said...

Wow I wish I had time for such an extensive movie marathon.

jlc said...

Ok let's discuss 1-3 inches of snow! What the beeeep!

Pam said...

Ugh this weather is terrible. I had to bust out my winter coat again this morning and I was not pleased. It really, really needs to start warming up.

I saw Adventureland yesterday. It was...ok. There were some funny parts (most of which were in the previews) and I liked the main characters, but it was only alright. I'd say it's a "rent it" kind of movie.

Sarah Alway said...

I actually saw my first 3-D movie this weekend at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle... it was super nerdy and SUPER fun! I've been meaning to see Slumdog Millionaire though; my sister says it's the best movie she's seen in years.

I totally understand your frustration with the weather... In the last week alone Seattle has gotten SNOW and a beautiful, 70-degree day. WTF?

Allie said...

I am no longer above using a folding cart to get my groceries from point A to point B. It's a life saver sometimes.

Kate said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm ... swedish fish.

emily said...

April = Official National Grilled Cheese Month.

All I have to say is you need to go the 44th Ward Dinner Party.

$1 grilled cheese sandwiches after midnight. And ready for the real kicker? BACON AND GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICHES. hells yeah.

Lizzie said...

I am a new reader of your blog and you crack my shit up! I just had to mention something about your first key learning from this post.... I had grilled cheese for lunch last night and mac and cheese for dinner last night. And now leftover mac and cheese for lunch today. NO JOKE. i love cheese. So I totally agree with you about them always being good options. So of course you can guess that I also agree that any meal with cheese on it is going to taste good.