Sunday, November 2, 2008

Key learnings and I'm in the paper!

Good lord I cannot believe it's already November. And the weather for this big election week is supposed to be mild in Chicago too. I'm not complaining but the weather is messing with my head because I don't know how to dress on a daily basis. I'm either too warm or cold, as if I'm having a pre-menopausal hot flash or I'm shivering. Help a girl out!

Anyhow, here are my key learnings from this Halloween weekend, boo!

Key Learnings:
  • It's perfectly normal to grab a random golf club in your defense when your apartment is randomly buzzed at 3 a.m., rousing you from a strong sleep
  • Watching middle-aged adults, dressed as mice, do cheerleading pyramids is very entertaining
  • Just because you can wear a slutty cop outfit on Halloween, doesn't mean you should, or at least stuff your bra ahead of time
  • No matter how full you are, there is always room for candy
  • Having nearly zero water pressure in your shower can make you exceedingly pissy
  • It's mildly embarrassing to have your credit card declined because it is expired, seriously, check that before you leave the house
  • After you've been friends with someone for several years, it's inevitable that you will start dressing a like (twinsies!)
  • There is nothing better than the feeling of accomplishing something new all on your own, or with you dad on speaker phone to guide you with the pliers
  • Everyone looks more attractive in mood lighting, even your girlfriends
  • Heterosexual girl crushes are totally acceptable and are not creepy. But they're kind of fun 
  • Working out is a great way to relax, but not when it's 80 degrees in the gym and you feel like you might pass out
  • When a guy is making flirtatious conversation with you on the bus, while looking down at you and eating Corn Nuts, that is not attractive
My print appearance
As some of you may have seen or read about on Twitter last week, two of my tweets were featured in Thursday's local RedEye edition. For those of you outside of Chicago, the RedEye is like a "lite" version of the Chicago Tribune. It's the Miller Lite to the the Tribune's MGD status. The paper recently joined Twitter and it asks local followers to submit tweets to them on various topics. 

And after several unsuccessful tries, two of mine were featured in the paper on the same day! Below are some pictures of my super awesome achievement! And because I didn't pick up this specific edition last week, my co-workers were sweet and ran to my desk to tell me the news and then call me "famous" all day. I love these ladies.



So now that you've seen how witty I can be, join the club and follow me on Twitter (in case you don't already). I promise to be as charming in tweet as I am on here. Isn't that reason enough to follow me?

Check me out: @bayjb

How was everyone else's holiday weekend? Several people copied my costume - dressing as a young professional woman on casual Friday. 

The parties in my neighborhood were insane on Friday night, people were out all over the streets. The best costume I saw was a box on animal crackers. Very well done, but not easy to watch her walk in.

29 comments:

Pam said...

You were in the Red Eye? That's amazing! I love the Red Eye...it makes my morning bus rides bearable. And your comments were hilarious, nice work.

I agree about the mild weather in Chicago...it's nice, but I don't know how the hell to dress. I think it actually got warmer today as the day went on and I'm already stressing about what to wear tomorrow...jacket? Long sleeves? Short sleeves? 70 degrees in November is nice, but yikes. I better start looking through my closet...

LJ said...

CONGRATS getting in the Red Eye! Love it, your comments were hilarious too!

No more candy....I"m banning everything....except reeses....or anything with peanut butter.

Pretty Unfamous said...

Ew, Corn nuts. Talk about bad breath.

KA said...

You know, i wish i could wear the cop outfit without feeling like a ho.

L.C.T. said...

Haha cooool yay!

Beave said...

It's funny that I came across your blog because I read your Tweet in the Red Eye and loved it. Good job!

Oh and with the weather around here, my rule has always been that it's easier to carry a jacket than to create one out of thin air.

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

you are totally famous! congrats on the mention.

and cheer leading mice?!? im still trying to wrap my head around that one.

Mandy said...

Congrats on the redeye! The weather in Ohio is crazy too. I love Halloween weekend!

Kyla Bea said...

lol! Those are really amazing twitter moments, definitely print worthy.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you on the weather. It's just messing with my head and it's not fair!

Also, in reference to your first key learning: I keep a bat next to my bed for just such occasions. However, if someone were to break into my apartment, you better believe I would totally forget the bat was even there!

cmay said...

how cool that you got in red eye!

when I still lived in milwaukee the lobby buzzer for my apartment was kinda broken for a while, you'd push it and then it would stick in and just keep on buzzing...someone figured that out and would randomly push it at like three in the morning causing me to have a heart attack and then have to get dressed(ish) go all the way down to the lobby and un-stick the button. I never thought of a baseball bat though, good idea!

Unknown said...

lmao off at what you learned! so funny, and true!

congrats on the red eye mentions! and on behalf of canada if the outcome is not what you hope for in tomorrow's election...we welcome you with open arms :)

Rachel Burton said...

You have random golf clubs lying around? I'm impressed! I'd have to defend myself with a cold curling iron. Not scary. And congrats on your RedEye appearance!

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

Water pressure is a definite mood forecaster. Seriously. When I shopped for my last two condos, I turned the showers on. Bad water pressure = a pissed Nilsa. Not good.

Also, Halloween parties? It's why I'm thankful we moved to an uncool neighborhood. No rousing at 3AM to drunk buzzers. hahaha.

LBluca77 said...

I think I OD on candy this weekend.

Yay for being in the Red eye.

Corn nuts should only be eaten in the privacy of one's home.

B said...

HA! I love that it ended up in the paper!

Amy said...

I love your list style of your "favorite things" I think I should adopt something similar! I also love reading everyone's re cap on Halloween blogs today!

xoxo

Anonymous said...

I love when the weather is nice and warm in November, but I hate not knowing how to dress. Especially since it's freezing at night and in the morning. You seriously feel like you have to wear 20 layers to be prepared.

Katie said...

Congratulations! @katiecat is now following you :o)

btw, looked for you on flickr! add me as a contact bayjb!

Unknown said...

there is always room for candy ...well, chocolate candy.

Congrats on being in the paper!

Katelin said...

ooooh yay for be twit featured, haha. that's pretty sweet. and yeah the weather in california is being weird too, i am not a fan.

Daisy said...

Congratulations!! You're famous, and for your wit too, which is the best reason to be famous. And yes, I can report that climate change is alive and well in France too, I set off this morning in my uggs and sheepskin coat, only to find myself eating lunch outside in the sun,burning up in my winter warmers!

Lacey Bean said...

Hahah love the tweets in the paper.

And it's totally fine to pick up a golf club to protect yourself in the wee hours of the morning. Better than the one time I grabbed a SCREWDRIVER when my house alarm went off and I was all alone. What I thought I was going to do with it, I have no idea. Stab the intruder in the neck?

thatShortchick said...

congrats on being printed!!

the guy with the corn nuts? HILARIOUS.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being published!

I hate when there's no pressure in the shower...nothing worse!

Living Dees Life said...

your gonna be famous! u'll have so many new hits on your blog it'll go dizzy!

we bought a new shower head and that's helped with our pressure.

Anonymous said...

congrats on being famous!

And there is nothing wrong with the heterosexual girl crush. I, myself, have a heterosexual life mate.

Sara said...

Animal crackers huh...very creative

Kayleigh said...

"Just because you can wear a slutty cop outfit on Halloween, doesn't mean you should, or at least stuff your bra ahead of time"

= I LOVE YOU. Hilarious. Although, bra stuffing? Yeah I would have needed to do that.

And I love how I spotted you in the paper!!