Friday, November 28, 2008

Making Black Friday my b*tch

One of the reasons I love shopping is the thrill of the hunt. Using your wits to find what you want and the gratification of having it for yourself (or to give to someone else for Christmas)

And Black Friday is the best example of "the hunt" for me. Thanksgiving weekend is when I list out who I'm buying for, how much I'm spending and gift ideas for everyone on my list. But despite this list, I reserve Black Friday to shop for me before all of my money goes toward others. Of course, if I see a gift for someone at an incredible deal, I will get it, but it's still about me :)

Every Black Friday, my dad, stepmom and I head to the Kenosha outlet mall, but beforehand, dad and I plan out our shopping attack, like we're playing a game of Risk. Circulars are tabbed and organized in the order we will visit the stores. 

Because of the economy, we're scaling back a bit this year, but I surveyed our loot from today and I think we did a pretty good job. I normally don't have a lot of luck with sale items, but this year, I did okay.

Here are a few highlights from my shopping trip:
  • Best deal: JCrew Factory Store charcoal gray corduroy pants - final price: $13.97 (no alterations needed - amazing)
  • Unexpected find: Puma women's Roma suede shoes (I have been wanting another pair of these shoes and could not find them anywhere until today)
  • Potential buyers remorse purchase: JCrew argyle socks 
  • Unnecessary indulgence: Coach Factory Store berry lambskin gloves with cashmere lining
  • Most practical purchase: Restoration Hardware Factory Store dish brush and anti-bacterial soap for the bathroom
So after an early morning and plenty of fresh air at the outlet mall, I'm ready for an afternoon laydown before dad and I decide if we're going to see the new James Bond movie tonight or tomorrow. 

Oh and here is a picture of my parent's loot. My shopping bags are not represented in this pile but imagine about 3-5 more bags in the front of the stack.


Did anyone else brave the stores this morning? Any big deals to share? 

How was everyone's Thanksgiving? My recap is coming with this weekend's key learnings, but I am still full from two major meals in one day.

Reader note: Sorry if yesterday's early tweet, when I reposted about things I'm grateful for, confused everyone. I should have clarified the repost in my tweet. I just wanted to put it out there because I'm still thankful and grateful for everything on that list so it seemed appropriate. My bad!

22 comments:

erin said...

nice job!

i only like shopping on this day if i know what i want...i can't handle the crowds.

i came home with a brand new 40" flat screen, a stand for said TV, and a blackberry. sheesh.

Mega said...

Kenosha has a mall?!

LBluca77 said...

You are so brave for going shopping today, but it defiantly seemed worth it with all the great stuff you got.

Daisy said...

Wow, that is seriously organised shopping - I like the way you planned it like a military attack! I have to admit I have no idea about this special shopping day as it's not something we have - I suppose it is something like the first day of the January sales in London where people camp outside Harrods in the snow etc. In which case, kudos for coming back alive and with some bargain loot!

Anonymous said...

I definitely did not do shopping today. If I did though, it would have all been for me too :)

Cheryl said...

Coach is never unnecessary! Shame on you! :) Nice buys. well done you.

Vanessa said...

Looks like a great haul from the stores today! I braved it for a bit, but not too long.

Rachel Burton said...

Nice haul - way to do your part for the economy! I wandered around Michigan Ave. today but haven't bought anything - yet. I think I'm headed out to Anthropologie - my guilty pleasure - to treat myself tonight.

Anonymous said...

I *work* retail, so instead of shopping this morning? I was up at 3am, energy drink in hand, ready to serve the masses. And it was in-sane!

FB @ FabulouslyBroke.com said...

Pictures??

Those berry gloves sound heavenly.

Pretty Unfamous said...

Looks like you guys did some damage!

Rebecka said...

i left my house at 3am this morning. and lets say i'm done christmas shopping :)

Stephanie said...

Sounds like you got some great deals. Especially those $13 pants!

Maki said...

Ummm, I'm afraid to say, but I've never done Black Friday shopping....

BUT, seeing the photo in this post made me feel it may be worth the try next year:)

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

i didn't do any big store shopping, only hitting up a couple of boutiques. but those berry colored coach gloves sound just heavenly.

The Modern Gal said...

Black Friday is a time-honored tradition for my mom and I. Don't worry about the argyle socks-- I have some and I love them. Nearly all my pants are from jCrew because they don't ever seem to need tailoring.

I broke down and bought a MacBook yesterday. The deal wasn't great, but it was a discount, nonetheless. I also hit jCrew and got one of their Sherpa fleece hoodies for about $15.

Kyla Bea said...

Oh my gosh, that you guys scaling back?!

You always post about such amazing purchases, I'm a little in awe!

Good job on fighting the good fight yesterday - but I have to admit that I'm a little happy that we don't have anything like that in Canada!

Anonymous said...

I have never once gone shopping on Black Friday. I guess that having worked retail on Black Friday (and having a husband whose life I fear for every Black Friday) just makes it unappealing to me.

Glad you found some good deals. I did too...but from the comfort of my couch. I love internet shopping!

Renee said...

I shopped in Indiana on Black Friday and got the beau a pair of fur line moccassins for $20, originally $55. Today I hit up Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg and that was a bad bad idea.

Mandy said...

"I reserve Black Friday to shop for me before all of my money goes toward others. Of course, if I see a gift for someone at an incredible deal, I will get it, but it's still about me :)"

AWESOME! Glad that you had fun! I was only out for an hour or so before going to the movies, that was enough for me. I'm more of a Cyber Monday type shopper.

Anonymous said...

I love that Outlet Mall! My dad and sister live in Kenosha, but I was a bit further away with my boyfriend's family, near Lake Geneva, for Black Friday. I am a huge fan of the Banana Republic in the outlet mall. I've never even once considered going there on Black Friday.

But apparently it's worth it! You got some great deals!

EP said...

Nice work! I like your philosphy about Black Friday. I didn't go shopping that day, though. Huge crowds? They give me a headache.

Have you finished the Christmas shopping for everyone on your list since you're so with it?