Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A sign of winter weather in Chicago

So it's still cold in Chicago, but to help keep me "warm," I find interest in simple signs of the season in the city (try saying that four times fast.)

No this does not include finding joy in other people walking quickly down the sidewalks, bundled up. It's other things, like watching the lake and river steam from the cold air or watching the snow fall from the sky so lightly over Michigan Avenue late at night, when amazingly there isn't the sound of car horns and buses flying down the street. This may sound crazy, but I'm sure a few of you know what I mean.

During this weekend's most recent cold spell, I was walking across one of the downtown bridges en route to a movie when I looked at the river and was surprised to see it frozen in almost mosaic-like triangle tiles. Unfortunately I did not have my camera with me (darnit!) but today when I got off the 135 near Columbus, I was pleased to see that the ice was melting, yet the "tiles" stuck around. I thought I'd even share a photo with you all to show you what I mean.

Just another reason that I love this city, even though I'm freezing my butt off.

No comments: