Friday, January 18, 2008

Why does a diet feel like curse?

The holidays are hard on the waistline - no matter how many TODAY show segments give you "tips" on keeping the pounds under control. Since Thanksgiving, when I started to get sick with a nasty cold, resulting in a near cracked rib from coughing, I've been having a hard time getting back on my feet. I was a lean, mean weight training, cardio working, calorie counting machine, but three weeks of no exercise has taken it's toll and my heart hasn't been 100 percent back in the game. I go to the gym, which is still rewarding, but it's the diet portion that has me down. I still follow my tracker and log faithfully, but I'm less motiviated to say no to things that are bad or watch the portions. Then as I watch myself go over the amount I should stay within, that just depresses me more.

It's time to take things one step at a time and to start over. I know I shouldn't beat up on myself, but it's hard when you sit inside all day and candy is a readily available in your office. Plus I can guarantee you that the cold weather does NOT help. It frustrates me to no end that I can't seem to get myself back on track, like I was before. But it seems the harder I try to get there, I take one more step back.

One day and one step a time, that's what I have to do and keep telling myself that. And the ongoing wish that I would wake up one morning and be naturally thin is okay too, but I'll go back to the first dream - winning the lottery so I can play tennis and work out with a trainer all day :) That's a good one.

No comments: