Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Pet Peeve: Chicago's Summer Bummer

I try not to list pet peeves two days in a row, but I've had a disgustingly long day so that rule is out the window for this occasion. 

Today was by far the nicest day in Chicago that we've had in a very long time. This lovely weather might actually steal attention away from the cougar that was killed in Roscoe Village this week. And it's tough to beat a cougar, it's a wild cougar in Chicago! 

So with the nice weather, there are inevitable things that happen in the city:
  • The crosswalks become insufferably crowded
  • Tourists - more on that another time
  • The summer homeless people come out
  • People have very high self esteem about the clothes they wear
  • and the biggest summer buzz kill....Cubs games
Now before I'm gunned down for saying that, I'm not saying that I hate the Cubs, I'm saying as a Lakeview resident that I hate evening Cubs games because of the ungodly traffic on LSD. Many of my co-workers and I actually have a Cubs game schedule at our desks so we can check for night games before we leave work. On those days, I usually try to stay late or take my time at the gym but today, I was irresponsible and didn't check the schedule before I left work and was stuck standing on the 145 in atrocious traffic.

One woman standing behind me was so frustrated that she nearly charged off the bus, taking anyone, including me, out at Belmont. But in the midst of exhaustion and a painfully long ride home, I did do my nice deed for the day - letting a woman near me know she dropped her Chicago Card. Good karma for me!

Alrighty, Lulu wants to play some music and I'm going back to watching Juno. Pork swords!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more. The #1 thing I don't miss about living in Wrigleyville: Cubs fans mucking up my commute home.

Angela said...

I live by the Sheridan stop on the red line. Which means Cubs city. I can here the crowd noises from my apartment (and my windows are shut!). Not cool. Not to mention the weirdo cubs fans squashing me on the L. Luckily, I'm moving out of the city in August. But until then... yikes.

Stephanie said...

Your bus rides sound harsh!

Anonymous said...

Hahaha, Juno. The best quote of that whole movie is the chick at the Planned Parenthood clinic - "They make his junk smell like *pie*."